Last Updated on September 21, 2023 by Create Better Health
When food is made in miniature form it just tastes better… Do you agree?
There is just something tantalizing about bite-sized food. I love it!
These miniature lasagna cups are the perfect family meal idea. They may be mini, but these lasagna cups pack a tasty punch. They are quick and easy to make for a flavorful Italian-style dinner.
In this post you’ll find:
Let’s Make Mini Lasagna!
Step One: Cook Your Meat
Start by heating some olive oil in a skillet.
The recipe calls for Italian sausage links, however, ground beef or ground turkey would make a great substitution. If you choose to use Italian sausage you will want to remove the casing from the sausage.
Once the casing is removed place the sausage in the skillet, breaking it up while it browns. Pour the cooked sausage into a colander and rinse with warm water to remove any excess fat.
Return the sausage to the pan or a small bowl. Add in the marinara sauce and stir.
Step Two: Prep Your Tortillas
Next, you need to get your tortillas ready.
They need to be cut into large circles, about 4-5″ in diameter. This can be done by using a circle cookie cutter found at most cooking stores. If you don’t have a circle cooking cutter, try placing a large drinking glass upside down on top of the tortilla and tracing around it with a knife, creating a circle.
Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and place your tortilla circles in the tin, pressing them down in the middle.
I like to use a mini muffin pan to make the lasagna cups extra mini. A regular-sized muffin tin works as well.
Step Three: Add Your Layers
Once the tortillas are in the muffin tin fill each tortilla with one tablespoon ricotta cheese, 1 tablespoon marinara and sausage mixture, and one tablespoon mozzarella. Repeat these layers twice until the tortillas are filled.
Step Four: Bake Your Mini Lasagna
Bake them at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Mini Lasagna Cups Recipe
If you are feeling really ambitious, this homemade marinara sauce is delicious and the perfect addition to these mini lasagna cups.
Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
What Do You Serve With Lasagna?
Here are some side dish recommendations to serve with lasagna that fit with the MyPlate Guidelines.
- Vegetable Medley: A colorful mix of steamed or roasted vegetables, such as carrots, bell peppers, and broccoli, to fill half your plate with vegetables.
- Whole Grain Garlic Bread: Opt for whole-grain bread or rolls to provide a serving of grains.
- Green Salad: Create a salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers, dressed lightly with vinaigrette, for a healthy dose of vegetables.
- Quinoa Salad: Incorporate a quinoa salad with diced vegetables, herbs, and a lemony dressing to provide whole grains and veggies.
- Fruit Salad: A fruit salad featuring a variety of fresh fruits like berries, melons, and citrus segments can be your fruit serving.
- Greek Cucumber Salad: Enjoy a cucumber salad with tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese, and a Greek-style dressing for a vegetable and dairy combination.
- Yogurt Parfait: A dessert-like option that aligns with the dairy group. Layer yogurt with berries and a sprinkle of granola for added crunch.
These options align with the MyPlate guidelines, ensuring a balanced meal that includes vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and dairy while enjoying lasagna as the main dish.
Are you going to try these mini lasagna cups? Tell me what you think of them in the comments!