Last Updated on October 24, 2023 by Create Better Health
Prepare to host a healthy fiesta that will tantalize your taste buds! Our Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is a delicious fusion of flavors and nutrition.
Whether it’s a special gathering or a weeknight meal, this dish brings Tex-Mex flair to your table. Let’s dive in and discover how to create a delightful, healthy fiesta with bold and zesty flavors.
Jump to where you want:
- Lime Nutrition Tips
- Types of Limes
- How to Juice a Lime
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe
- Is Cilantro Lime Rice Healthy?
- What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice?
- Steak Soft Tacos Recipe
Lime Nutrition Tips
Have you ever heard a sailor referred to as a “Limey”? Have you ever wondered where the nickname came from?
Limes were used by sailors at sea to prevent a disease called scurvy, which is caused by a lack of vitamin C. Limes are full of vitamin C and provided just what the sailors needed.
In addition to a large amount of Vitamin C limes are low in calories, fat-free, sodium-free, and cholesterol-free.
They enhance the natural flavors in many types of foods and are a healthy alternative when seasoning foods.
Types of Limes
There are two types of limes you typically see in the grocery store, Persian and Key limes.
Persian limes are larger than Key limes and have a dark green rind.
Key limes are more round with a yellowish rind and a highly tart flavor.
When selecting limes look for smooth, glossy limes. They should be plump and heavy for their size and free of soft spots.
Although you can store them at room temperature for 3 to 5 days, they may be best stored in the refrigerator. When they are exposed to light and air their tart flavor rapidly diminishes.
How to Juice a Lime
When squeezing a lime you want to make sure you get all of the delicious juice without any going to waste. Here are a few different ways to juice a lime:
- Use a citrus juicer. A simple hand juicer will do and may help you get more juice than using your hands alone.
- Use the microwave. Heating limes for about 20 seconds in the microwave will help the juice flow more easily. This is especially helpful if your limes have been stored in the refrigerator. Let them cool for a minute before you juice as the juice may be a bit hot.
- Roll it. Use the palm of your hand to roll limes across your counter top. Rolling them will help loosen the segments inside the lime releasing the juice.
- Cut them lengthwise. You can get a better grip on a lime if you cut it lengthwise which will make it easier to squeeze.
- Slice them. If you slice your limes first, they will be easier to squeeze and twist to get all the juice.
- Use a fork. Cut limes in half then stick a fork in the center of the pulp. Squeeze each lime and wiggle the fork around to release the juice from the flesh.
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe
Is Cilantro Lime Rice Healthy?
Cilantro lime rice can be a healthy option when prepared with the right ingredients and in moderation. Here are some points to consider:
- Nutrient Content: Cilantro lime rice typically contains rice, cilantro, lime juice, and sometimes a small amount of oil or butter for flavor. These ingredients offer various nutrients, including carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals. Cilantro is rich in antioxidants and has potential health benefits.
- Portion Control: The key to maintaining the healthiness of cilantro lime rice is portion control. Rice is calorie-dense, and consuming large portions can contribute to excessive calorie intake. Be mindful of your serving size.
- Choice of Rice: Opt for brown rice or other whole grains instead of white rice. Brown rice retains more nutrients and fiber, making it a healthier choice.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice adds a refreshing citrus flavor and provides vitamin C. It’s a healthy addition, as long as you don’t overdo it with sugar or other unhealthy additives.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a nutrient-packed herb. It’s a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It can add flavor and nutrition to your rice dish.
- Seasonings: Watch the amount of added salt, as excessive sodium can be a concern for some people. Consider using herbs and spices to enhance the flavor instead of relying solely on salt.
- Cooking Methods: Cooking the rice using healthier methods, such as steaming or boiling, is preferable to frying or using excessive oil.
- Customization: You can customize cilantro lime rice by adding healthy ingredients like vegetables for additional fiber and nutrients.
What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice?
Cilantro lime rice is a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses. Here are some delicious ideas to serve with cilantro lime rice:
- Grilled Chicken or Steak: The zesty flavors of cilantro lime rice complement grilled chicken or steak beautifully. You can marinate the meat with similar flavors for a cohesive meal.
- Fish or Shrimp: Whether you’re serving grilled, baked, or pan-seared fish or shrimp, cilantro lime rice provides a fresh and tangy contrast.
- Tacos: Cilantro lime rice is a fantastic addition to any taco filling. It can be served as a side or used as a filling for a burrito-style taco.
- Vegetarian Options: Cilantro lime rice pairs well with vegetarian options like black bean and vegetable burritos, grilled portobello mushrooms, or roasted vegetable bowls.
- Mexican and Tex-Mex Dishes: It’s a natural fit with Mexican dishes like enchiladas, fajitas, or chimichangas. The flavors enhance the overall meal.
- Cuban or Caribbean Dishes: It can complement dishes like Cuban mojo-marinated pork or Caribbean jerk chicken.
- Salads: Use cilantro lime rice as a base for a refreshing salad. Add ingredients like grilled chicken, black beans, corn, and avocado to create a hearty salad.
- Tofu or Tempeh: For a vegan option, serve cilantro lime rice with marinated and grilled tofu or tempeh. The flavors work well together.
- Soups: Add a scoop of cilantro lime rice to a bowl of soup, such as tortilla soup or black bean soup, for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Grilled Vegetables: For a lighter option, serve cilantro lime rice with a side of grilled or roasted vegetables. The rice can enhance the flavor of the veggies.
- Tofu or Chicken Skewers: Skewers marinated in complementary flavors like lime, cilantro, and garlic are a great match for cilantro lime rice.
These blog posts would be a great option to serve with brown rice:
Steak Soft Tacos Recipe
One of my favorite additions to my cilantro lime rice is steak soft tacos!
Check out the recipe below and give it a try!