There’s nothing quite like a bowl of warm soup at the end of a cold day. Creating a soup from scratch is easier than you might think. With a handful of the right ingredients, you can whip up the perfect bowl of soup in no time. Use the guide below and pick an ingredient or two from each section. The directions at the bottom will tell you how to put it all together.
- For a creamier soup, add yogurt. It will work like cream, but without the extra fat.
- Sauté your vegetables before you add them to the soup. This will enhance the flavor of your soup.
- Simmer your soup instead of boiling it. Flavors will combine better this way and the veggies won’t overcook.
- Add the noodles last. To avoid them getting mushy, add noodles towards the end of your recipe’s cooking time. You can also cook them separately and add them at the end just to warm.
- If you want a thicker soup, strain a cup or two of your soup and blend it before adding it back in. A cup or two of mashed potatoes works well, too.
One of my favorite ingredients for a soup is cabbage. White Bean, Cabbage, and Sausage Soup took less than 30 minutes to make and I was blown away by the flavor!
Will you add this recipe to your list of favorites? Make up a batch and come on back to let me know how you liked it. Enjoy!
Certified Nutrition Education Assistant
Categories: Create A Soup