Last Updated on September 22, 2022 by Create Better Health
Have your kids gone back to school? Are they preparing to go soon? This will be the first year I have a child eating lunch at school. The thought of school lunch can be stressful!
What if she gets hungry before lunchtime? What if she doesn’t like her lunch? What if they serve snacks that aren’t healthy? What if she’s starving by the time she gets home?
These are the thoughts that have been running through my head lately. To put my mind at ease, I sat down and came up with a few lunch box ideas that will work well for me and my family. Check them out, see which ones you can duplicate for your school lunch needs. Enjoy!
- Tacos in a Box – Cook some chicken with your favorite taco seasoning. Add in homemade tortilla chips and other taco fixin’s. Fresh grapes or other fruit help balance out the meal. You can find a recipe for homemade taco seasoning here and a recipe for tortilla chips here.
- Ham Cheese & Crackers – With hardly any prep work, this lunch box idea is an easy one! Dice some ham and cheese. Add crackers, fruit, veggies, and ranch dip, and lunch is ready to go.
- Pinwheels – I was originally introduced to Pinwheels as an appetizer for a party. They quickly became a family favorite and make a great addition to a lunch box. Fruit, veggies, and ranch dip help make it a MyPlate meal.
- Breakfast Box – You’ve heard of breakfast for dinner, so why not breakfast for lunch! Use Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancake mix, found here, to make pancakes or waffles. Serve with eggs, berries, and other breakfast items.
- Pasta Salad – If you have a noodle fan at your house, send them with supplies to make their own pasta salad. My Easy Pasta Salad recipe is quick and easy to make. It stores well in the refrigerator so make a big batch and use it for lunch, dinner, and snacks throughout the week.
- Mini Muffin Masterpiece – Make a batch of of Honey & Wheat Mix to store in your pantry. Use it to make a quick batch of muffins. I like to use a mini muffin tin so they are the perfect size to pop in your mouth. Pack them with almonds, fruit, and veggies. You can also pack a bit of honey for a sweet treat on top of the muffins.
- Boiled Eggs & Hummus – Hummus is a great, protein packed addition to a lunch box. This Simple Hummus recipe is especially nice because it can be made without Tahini, a traditional ingredient for hummus, that you aren’t likely to have on hand if you’re new to hummus. Both crackers and veggies are great for dipping. Boiled eggs & fruit help make a nutritious lunchbox.
- Cereal – Cold cereal is great when you don’t have much time to prepare a lunch. Yogurt, granola, fruit, and nuts serve well on the side of cereal. Check out my favorite granola recipe below. Be sure to remember the milk!
- Protein Power Bites – These protein packed bites are so good they seem like a treat! Serve them with other grab-and-go items like sliced turkey, cheese squares, fruit & veggies.
- Kabob It – Kabobs make a fun lunchbox item. They are a especially great for using small amounts of left over items you might find in your refrigerator. Whatever kabob you make, pack it with plenty of fruits and veggies and your kids are sure to be satisfied.
- Use pepperoni, cheese, olives, and wheat tortilla pieces for a pizza kabob.
- A BLT kabob can be made with bread, lettuce, tomatoes, and some crisp bacon.
- Who doesn’t love a PB&J? Use full slices of bread to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Then cut it into small squares perfect to fit on a kabob stick.
- Salad seems more fun when it’s a kabob. A chicken cobb kabob can be made with lettuce, chicken, eggs, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Quesadillas seem to be a favorite food item for many kids. Rolled up tortilla slices, grilled chicken, and cheese are all you need for a chicken quesadilla kabob.
- A turkey club kabob is sure to hit the spot. Bread, rolled turkey, cheddar cheese, bacon, and lettuce piled high on a kabob stick is sure to please.
Give these lunch box items a try. Then come on back and let me know what other lunch box ideas are working well for you. Enjoy!