How are you dealing with the summer heat? Are you a fan of the hot days of Utah Summer, or are you longing for the cooler days of spring and fall? It is important to find ways to stay cool when it’s burning up outside. Did you know that food can be a tool to cool your body down? Now, that’s not to say you should go out and eat all the ice cream and popsicles you want! Make frozen fruits a part of your regular summer routine. You’ll cool down and make a healthy choice all at the same time!
Here are a few ways you can use frozen fruit during the summer:
- Use flavored ice cubes to add variety to a glass of water.
- Eat Banana Ice Cream for dessert.
- Turn frozen berries into a snack. Try Blueberry Yogurt Bites.
- Make infused water a regular part of your drinking routine. Click here to see what captain create has to say about it.
- Ditch the sugar filled popsicles and make your own fruit popsicles. Mint Berry Popsicles are delicious!
- Use blended fruit to make sorbet. See below.
Fruit sorbet is wonderfully easy to make! All you need is pureed fruit and a sweetener like sugar syrup, honey, or orange juice. Some sorbet recipes will call for lemon juice to give the recipe a little zip. I tried three sorbet recipes this week – kiwi, raspberry, and peach. Any guesses on which flavor was my favorite?
The recipe above lists sugar syrup as a sweetener. To make sugar syrup combine 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Heat until the sugar dissolves, and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until a syrup forms. Use what you need and store the rest in the refrigerator.
How will you stay cool in a healthy way this summer? Give some of these ideas a try. Come on back and let me know what you liked most. Enjoy!
Certified Nutrition Education Ambassador
Categories: Create A Fruity Dessert