Today is National Taco Day! If you ask me, you don’t need a special day to celebrate. Everyday is a good day for a taco. You can prepare them meatless, get your greens with a taco salad, enjoy them with an egg on top, or even serve them for dessert. The possibilities are endless. To get you started, check out these ten tasty ways to enjoy tacos.
- Meatless Tacos – Instead of ground beef, pork, or chicken, substitute black beans. Simply warm them on the stove and add your seasonings to the pot. Serve them up the same way you would a regular taco using fresh lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and more.
- Taco Salad – This is a great option when you don’t have taco shells on hand. Use tortilla chips or strips instead. Kids will love to make their own creation. Check out this hearty version that many of our ambassadors use at home.
- Taco Soup – Using tomatoes as your base, stir in cooked meat or beans (or both), add a packet of low-sodium taco seasoning, and you’ve got a meal. Canned or frozen corn is a great addition and stretches out the meal for leftovers! Here is a must-try taco soup recipe you can whip up in no time.
- Huevos Rancheros Tacos – When you add a cooked egg to a taco, there’s an unexpected burst of flavor, and a unique way to get your protein.
- Taco Pizza – Instead of regular pizza sauce, stir together some refried beans and tomato sauce. Add a few spices such as cumin and garlic powder and spread it over your crust. You can top it with cooked ground beef or beans and cheese. After it bakes, top your slice with fresh lettuce and salsa. You won’t be disappointed!
- Tilapia Tacos – Who would have thought? Tilapia is a budget friendly fish perfect for tacos.
- Slow-cooker Pork Tacos – For a new twist, use sweet pork instead of beef. Slow-cooker pork barbacoa is demonstrated here in this quick video created by some of our ambassadors.
- Taco Stuffed Peppers – That’s right. Prep your bell peppers the same way you would to make regular stuffed peppers using rice and ground beef. Stir in some salsa or tomato sauce and add taco seasoning to the mix for a burst of taco flavor inside a fresh pepper. Top with Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese if desired.
- Dessert Taco – This is a real thing! Use whole wheat tortillas as your shell. Spread a little oil or butter over each tortilla and then sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and sugar. Bake in the oven just until crisp and then allow them to cool for a couple minutes before stuffing them with fresh fruit. Add a dollop of whipped cream and you’ve just created a fruity dessert.
- Taco Cups – You’ll always be prepared if you know how to make homemade taco seasoning. Once you have it on hand, use it to make Taco Cups. It’s one of my favorite recipes!
Which way do you enjoy tacos? Give one of these recipes a try. Come on back and let me know how you liked it. Enjoy!