All month long we get to celebrate PEPPERS! Do you like peppers? There are so many different varieties; it may be hard to choose your favorite. The most common peppers are red, yellow, orange, and green, but did you know bell peppers also come in black, brown, white, and purple? Bell peppers are packed full of vitamins A and C and can even provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits!
Here’s a fun little history of peppers:
- 5000 BC – Peppers were domesticated in the Tehuacán valley of Mexico as a crop.
- 1493 – Christopher Columbus rediscovered peppers in the Americas and brought them back with him to Europe.
- 1600s – For all you pirate lovers, a real-life pirate wrote about bell peppers on his journey to the Americas and the Caribbean.
- 1896 – The first time a stuffed pepper recipe was included in a printed cookbook.
- 1912 – The Scoville scale was developed by Wilbur Scoville as a method to measure the different intensities (heat) of peppers.
Head over to National Today to learn more fun facts about peppers.
Peppers have become a staple in the home of many families. What is your favorite recipe that includes peppers? Give one of these Top Ten Ways to Enjoy Peppers a try.